Why Hygiene Matters
When we say that good hygiene is important for a business’ success, don’t take our word for it. Instead, consider what customers have to say:
• A recent study by Kimberly-Clark Professional found that 39% believe they are likely to pick up other people’s germs in a public restroom
• 66% say that unclean conditions leave a bad impression of a public restroom
• 77% say “cleanliness” is the top reason a public restroom makes a good impression
• 57% say they would complain to management if supplies ran short
Of course, there’s a lot more to being clean than looking clean. Superficial treatments that don’t directly address microbial contamination and vectors of transmission leave behind billions of potential pathogens that can harm your customers, your employees and your business:
• The National Center for Health Statistics estimates the annual cost of absenteeism per employee at $789.
• About one–fifth to three-fifths of the total dollars attributable to common health conditions faced by employers appear to be the result of one-the-job productivity losses as a result of working while sick
• As much as 60% of an employer’s health costs may be related to employees working while sick, according to the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
• According to a study recently published in the American Journal of Infection Control, the practice of good hand hygiene coupled with the use of a hand sanitizer resulted in a 50% reduction in absenteeism among students. If even a portion of this reduction translates to the workplace, the savings for Wal-Mart can be significant. (http://www.ajicjournal.org/article/PIIS0196655302681313/abstract)
• This reinforces the findings of an earlier study published in the same journal which found a 19.8% percent reduction in absences through the implementation of a hand hygiene program that did not make use of hand sanitizer. Other studies report similar findings. (http://pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/ajic/abstract.00000545-200010000-00003.htm)
• The relationship between hygiene and workplace wellness was reinforced in a new study performed for FedEx by GOJO, one of the world’s leading hand care companies. The study found a 21% reduction in absenteeism in the workplace when a simple hygiene education program including the use of hand sanitizer was put in place.
As the country’s only true full-service hygiene expert, Swisher has the insight and experience to serve as a trusted partner to Wal-Mart in its efforts at hygiene improvement. We are well-positioned to provide guidance and supervision to locations on a global scale through our Quality Assurance and training programs can give Wal-Mart employees the knowledge and skills they need to perform routine cleaning and sanitizing tasks successfully.